The WorkLife Office is a strong advocate of support for Spartans who are caregivers. We appreciate the struggles, we see the challenges, and we have resource and information to help. A recent New York Times article outlines the issue parents are facing. Now more than ever, we want to be sure you are aware of childcare. Please share this information with relevant staff and faculty members as these resources could benefit many people within the MSU community.
- EAP Counseling services and courses
- Consultations: contact the WorkLife Office about work, career, and family questions, gather resources, and get referral information based on the conversation.
- Care.com/msu: Find trusted care providers. MSU faculty and staff can get free access to search for childcare, special needs care, tutoring help, private lessons, housekeeping, pet care and more. Learn how to get free access
- Backup Dependent Care for children and adult dependents
- Classes for breastfeeding, infant care, and more on the WorkLife Office calendar.
- Other resources for parents and guardians on the WorkLIfe website
Support for managing boundaries with kids and work at home:
- Spartans can form pods and quarateams for shared childcare and tutor assistance, and managing boundaries with kids and work at home
- Family Email Listserv
- Caregiver Affinity Group: This group is intended to virtually connect MSU faculty and staff who have caregiving responsibilities for adults in their lives and those navigating assisting a senior in their life with changing care needs. Meetings will be the fourth Thursday of the month from 12 noon to 1:00 p.m. See the WorkLife Calendar for the next event. For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Family Affinity Group: A place for Spartans to connect on family related topics with the goal of connecting, building community and share best practices regarding raising or caregiving for children and caregivers. Every second Tuesday of the month. See the WorkLife Calendar for the next event. For questions contact email@example.com
- Work and Wellness Connect: A weekly conversation open to all Spartans on Monday's at noon. See the WorkLife Calendar for the next event. For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Supervisor support on flexibility and making equitable decisions:
- WorkLife Stressors
- Unraveling the childcare crisis
- Returning work to campus
- Guidance for returning staff to campus
- Supporting Caregivers
We hope you will reach out to us with questions, comments and suggestions or needs: email@example.com.
Barbara Roberts, M.Sc.OT, Ph.D.
Pronouns: she/her/hers What is this?
Senior Advisor to the Provost
Executive Director, WorkLife Office
Adjunct Assistant Professor, College of Education
Michigan State University
Linton Hall, Suite 116
479 West Circle
East Lansing, MI
Click here to sign the Pledge to Care https://worklife.msu.edu/