The WorkLife Office manages several popular listservs. These email lists are an effective way for MSU faculty and staff to communicate directly with a group of people just like you! As of 2020, the WorkLife listservs include:
- For MSU employees that are looking to share resources with each other
- For any MSU employee who is from or has spent time in another country
- For MSU faculty and staff who have children and enjoy interactive sharing of resources with their MSU family
- This list now includes/combines the following lists:
- For MSU faculty and staff who are raising children with special needs and would like to connect with others who have similar joys and challenges
- For MSU faculty and staff who have elder dependents, or are interested in more information on aging for themselves
- For MSU faculty and staff that are breastfeeding, or for their supervisors who are interested in supporting breastfeeding mothers on campus
- For MSU faculty and staff that have already adopted or are considering adoption
- For information on WorkLife programs at MSU
How to Join
It is simple to join our any WorkLife Listserv at MSU! To join, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following command line in the body of the message (not the Subject): SUBSCRIBE NAMEOFLIST
Use the exact text for the list as it appears below:
- SUBSCRIBE RESOURCES
- SUBSCRIBE FAMILY
- SUBSCRIBE WLO-PROGRAMS
- SUBSCRIBE INTERNATIONAL
For example, to subscribe to the ADOPTION list you would send an email to email@example.com and include the following command line in the body of the message (not the Subject): SUBSCRIBE ADOPTION
You will receive a few confirmation emails so make sure you follow the instructions in those confirmation emails to complete the subscription process!
How to Use the List
First, you must be a member of the list to send a message to all the people currently subscribed to the list. After you subscribe, just send an email to NAMEOFLIST@list.msu.edu. This is called "sending mail to the list," because you send mail to a single address and LISTSERV makes copies for all the people who have subscribed. When sending to a list, use the exact name of the list as it appears below:
For example, to send to the ADOPTION list you would send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The WorkLife listservs will serve staff and faculty who have personal or professional interest in the issues of each list. The specific uses will be determined by the group, but here are a few ways to facilitate communication.
- Identifying colleagues with similar interests
- Sharing mutual concerns
- Exchanging professional knowledge
- Dissemination and requests for information
- Program and workshop announcements
- Exchanging personal ideas and support
Messages NOT permitted on the list:
- NO Discriminatory messages towards any family constitution, race, gender, etc.
- NO Messages that list items for sale. Item give-aways are permitted, but classified sale ads are not.
Being on the list means that you will automatically receive any messages posted to the list. Those messages will appear in your inbox when you log into email. It will also mean that you can send a single message, using the list address, which will automatically go to ALL MEMBERS of the list. Remember that those messages go to everyone on the list. If you use "reply" or "answer", your answer will not be posted to the entire list, but sent to the original poster of the message. So, if you want to send a personal message to an individual, you send it directly to that person. Ending your message with your full name and your email address will also help if people wish to respond to you personally. Please be mindful that each listserv ONLY recognizes the email address you registered with. If you receive a message stating "you are not authorized to post to this listserv" please check that the email you are sending from is the email you registered with.
How to Unsubscribe
To unsubscribe at any time, send an email to email@example.com and include the following command line in the body of the message (not the Subject): UNSUBSCRIBE NAMEOFLIST
Use the exact name of the list as it appears below:
- UNSUBSCRIBE FAMILY
- UNSUBSCRIBE INTERNATIONAL
- UNSUBSCRIBE RESOURCES
- UNSUBSCRIBE WLO-PROGRAMS
For example, to unsubscribe from the ADOPTION list you would send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following command line in the body of the message (not the Subject): UNSUBSCRIBE FAMILY