MSU Backup Dependent Care Program
Have you ever had to miss days from work or school because your child or eldercare provider was unavailable? Have you ever experienced last-minute changes or illness that complicate your plans for caring for your child or elder?
For these types of situations, and more, MSU Backup Dependent Care can help.
In collaboration with Home Instead Senior Care, a franchised national home care agency, MSU offers a subsidized dependent care service to faculty, staff, and students in the family home. Staff & faculty pay $7.00/hour and students pay $6.00/hour*.
Download the flyer here - BACKUP DEPENDENT CARE (PDF)
The service includes:
- In-home backup or emergency care for well or mildly ill children or dependent elders
- MSU subsidizes approximately 70% of the cost
- Staff and faculty pay $7.00 per hour for a home aide
- Students pay a discounted rate of $6.00 per hour for a home aide
- *(The subsidized rate is per child, however, a 10% discounted hourly rate is provided for each additional child)
- Call Home Instead directly to request care, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Request for care must be made at least four hours in advance. The more advanced notice provided (weeks to months), the more likely service can be arranged. Based on demand, on-call staff cannot be guaranteed
- Cancellation - A $30 charge will be applied for scheduled visits cancelled with less than a 12 hour notice
- Pre-registration is required; download a form here
- MSU families are eligible for up to 20 hours of subsidized dependent care per year, to be used in blocks of three hours or more
Location limitations may apply to service.
The MSU Backup Dependent Care program went into effect on July 1, 2017. View answers to our Frequently Asked Questions to help understand the changes from previous emergency and sick childcare services.
Care.com is also available for some backup dependent care. Try Care-on-Call to broadcast your needs and find last-minute care in your home. Free access is provided for MSU affiliates with their MSU Net ID. Hourly rates are negotiated with the caregiver.
For additional information about these services, contact the WorkLife Office at (517) 353-1635 or email email@example.com.