Adult Caregivers Employee Resource Group
An Employee Resource Group is a free employee-led group (open to all MSU employee types including faculty, academic, support staff, and post-docs) that fosters inclusivity and builds community for those with common lived experiences by providing group discussion and learning opportunities, programming, and platforms for sharing resources. The Adult Caregiving Employee Resource Group (Adult Caregiving ERG) is a place for Spartans to connect on adult caregiving issues (including elder care and other adult care, like adult children, spouses, etc.). The goal of the group is to discuss related topics with the goal of connecting, sharing resources, building community, and sharing best practices regarding adult caregiving.
The Adult Caregiving ERG meets on the fourth Thursday from 12 noon to 1 p.m. during the academic year in the form of educational Zoom webinars, interactive “Ask the Expert” panel format meetings, as well as in-person family-friendly programs and events.
Below is the Adult Caregiving ERG calendar of events for the 2022-2023 school year:
September Session – Thursday, September 29, 2022 from 12 noon to 1 p.m.
Trauma, Stress and Resiliency for Caregivers
Speaker: Lynn Breur
- Navigating the increased challenges and responsibility of caregiving
- Developing psychological flexibility and resilience
- Responding to challenges with value guided behavior
October Session-Thursday, October 27, 2022 from 12 noon to 1 p.m.
Navigating Safety, Risk, and Independence while Caring for our Elders
Presenter: KC Austern
- Role of collaborating with their elders on their care.
- Two factors that impact honoring a care receiver’s desire to maintain independence.
- How to start difficult conversations with your loved ones
November Session – Thursday, November 17, 2022 from 12 noon to 1 p.m.
Probate and Estate Planning Method, Mistakes, and Myths
Presenter: Brad Vauter
- Elder Law & disability rights
- Probate Court
- Estate Planning
- Service that improves the quality of life and well-being for older adults
December Session – Thursday, December 29, 2022 from 12 noon to 1 p.m.
Speaker: Georgina Perry
Georgina Perry is a Health Educator at Michigan State University Extension. She has a bachelor’s degree in Social Work from Ferris State University and a MA in Family and Consumer Sciences from Western Michigan University. Her focus is on helping individuals with their Social and Emotional Health across the lifespan and providing education to the community on substance use issues, specifically the opioid epidemic. She provides classes in anger and stress management, chronic pain management and caregiver classes on self-care management.
- Informal ways of caregiving
- Caregiving effects on mental and physical health
- Caregiving as a partnership
- The importance of self-care
January Session –Thursday, January 26, 2023 from 12 noon to 1 p.m.
Maintaining Nutrition: Simple Solutions for Maintaining Nutrition
Speakers: Mary Brooks
- The 4 food groups
- Snacking & the four food groups
- Simple Solutions
- Daily exercise for elders
February Session – Thursday, February 23, 2023 from 12 noon to 1 p.m.
Demystifying Dementia & The Six Pillars of Brain Health
Speaker: Lisa Cooper
- Understanding Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia
- Resources and information for dementia
- Six pillars of brain health
March Session – Thursday, March 23, 2023 from 12 noon to 1 p.m.
Speaker: Holly Tiret
- Explore the social, emotional, and physical benefits of laughter
- Caregiving with laughter
April Session – Thursday, April 27, 2023 from 12 noon to 1 p.m.
Brain Functioning and Cognitive Impairment/Alzheimer’s Disease
Speaker: Edna Rose
- Basic functioning of a client with cognitive impairment/Alzheimer’s disease
- Navigating becoming a caregiver
- How to navigate the various moods and feelings that come with becoming a caregiver
May Session – Thursday, May 25, 2023 from 12 noon to 1 p.m.
Managing challenging geriatric behaviors
Speaker: Sheria Lane
- How to navigate difficult questions
- How to approach challenging behaviors
- Working together as a partnership