WorkLife Office Supports Caregivers
The WorkLife Office is a strong advocate for support for Spartans who are caregivers – faculty, staff and students all benefit from the backup dependent care program, for example. We appreciate the struggles, we see the challenges, and we are here for you.
Dr. Barbara Roberts outlines how WorkLife Office supports caregivers
The WorkLife Office is a strong advocate for support for Spartans who are caregivers – faculty, staff and students all benefit from the backup dependent care program, for example. We appreciate the struggles, we see the challenges, and we are here for you. Recent collaborations on supportive initiatives include:
- Summer 2019: issued Childcare Task Force Report to the Office of the Provost with data on national, regional and local childcare challenges, including recommendations for MSU
- Spring 2020: designed and delivered webinars to help supervisors practice flexibility, how Spartans can form pods and quarateams for shared childcare and tutor assistance, and managing boundaries with kids and work at home
- Summer 2020: helped draft and promote the Guidelines for Returning Work and Employees to Campus, describing how to make equitable decisions with flexibility
- August 2020: summarized childcare issues “Unraveling the Childcare Crisis” and the Return to Campus Task Force Childcare Working Group backgrounder for leadership, “Parenting Returning to Work: Work Life Stressors” (Hutchison, 2020)
- Fall 2020: helped draft the Human Resources document “Supporting Caregivers @ MSU – Resources and Best Practices”
- Fall 2020: advocated at every level for consideration of the demands on caregivers during the pandemic, and the need for equitable, flexible and compassionate approaches
- Fall 2020: helped draft and posted the Pledge to Care for community members to join, promoting a climate of respect toward differing impacts of pandemic, including unique family situations
- Ongoing individual consultations on personal situations, strategies and applicable resources
The WorkLife Office continues to support caregivers with education, financial support, advocacy and awareness raising, resources, connections and the new family affinity group. Here are some additional resources and information available on the WorkLife.MSU.edu website:
- Quaranteam Tips
- Back-to-School 2020 resource guide for parents and caregivers
- The pros and cons of home schooling
- Backup Dependent Care for children and adult dependents
- Family Email Listserv
- A long list of webinars on work, family, career, and life
- Upcoming events support the Spartan community
- Caregiver Affinity Group: This group is intended to virtually connect MSU faculty and staff who have caregiving responsibilities for adults in their lives and those navigating assisting a senior in their life with changing care needs. Meetings will be the fourth Thursday of the month from 12 noon to 1:00 p.m. See the WorkLife Calendar for the next event. For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Family Affinity Group: A place for Spartans to connect on family related topics with the goal of connecting, building community and share best practices regarding raising or caregiving for children and caregivers. Every second Tuesday of the month. See the WorkLife Calendar for the next event. For questions contact email@example.com
We hope you will reach out to us with questions, comments and suggestions or needs: firstname.lastname@example.org We are here for you.
Barbara Roberts, M.Sc.OT, Ph.D.
Pronouns: she/her/hers What is this?
Senior Advisor to the Provost
Executive Director, WorkLife Office
Adjunct Assistant Professor, College of Education
Michigan State University
Linton Hall, Suite 116
479 West Circle
East Lansing, MI